In 1882, a privately owned railway line was extended from Wairio, just north of Ōtautau, to Nightcaps, the site of coal mining from 1880. In the early 2000s, this stretch was part of one of the few Southland lines still working.
Using this item
Southland Museum and Art Gallery
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.