Southland was constituted a province, with its own council, from 1861 to 1870. Built in 1864 for a Masonic lodge, this building was bought by the council for its meetings in 1866. Later used by the Invercargill borough and city council, it was acquired by the Historic Places Trust in 1979.
Using this item
Permission of Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga must be obtained before any re-use of this image.