The Mataura freezing works opened in 1893 and drew on the Mataura River for a water supply. The falls used to be much larger, but were blasted in the course of providing water for the works and other factories.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence