This large works operated at Ōrepuki from 1899 to the start of 1903, extracting oil from shale (fine-grained rock formed from clay).
Using this item
Southland Museum and Art Gallery
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.