Story: City parks and green spaces

Albert Park, Auckland (2nd of 2)

Albert Park, Auckland

Albert Park in central Auckland was a military barracks during the conflict in Northland from 1845 to 1846. Troops were stationed there until 1871, when most of the buildings and walls were demolished. The park itself was constructed 10 years later. This postcard shows two people resting in the formal grounds of the park, with the elaborate fountain (1882) at the centre and the band rotunda (1901) off to the right.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, J. N. Taylor Collection
Reference: 1/2-152852; F

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Kerryn Pollock, 'City parks and green spaces - Early green spaces in major cities', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/20560/albert-park-auckland (accessed 8 December 2021)

Story by Kerryn Pollock, published 11 Mar 2010