In 1840 two shiploads of Scots arrived at the infant settlement of Wellington. They were under the pastoral care of the Reverend John Macfarlane, who gave New Zealand's first Presbyterian service on board the ship Bengal Merchant. An Iona cross on the Petone foreshore, dedicated on the centenary of this service, 23 February 1940, commemorates the occasion.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by John Wilson
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.