Eichardt’s Hotel, on the shores on Lake Wakatipu at Queenstown, has mirrored the shifting fortunes of the southern settlement. A woolshed was built on the site in 1859, then when gold was discovered in 1862 it was converted into a hotel for miners. The building was progressively constructed throughout the 1870s and 1880s as Queenstown was transformed from a sea of tents and wooden shacks to an established town. The hotel has survived economic depressions, demolition threats, floods, and a decline from luxury hotel to lowly tavern. It has become one of Queenstown’s premier hotels.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.