Warners Hotel in Christchurch’s Cathedral Square was the grandest in the country in its prime. The hotel was built in stone and brick on a lavish scale after a fire destroyed the original wooden structure in 1900. This is the main dining room with tables set for guests. The room, which accommodated 200 diners, was lit by the skylights visible amongst the plastered ceiling. At night there were coloured electric lights. Warners Hotel was still operating in the 2000s, but was demolished after the 2011 earthquake.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.