In 1905, Invercargill became a liquor-free ‘dry’ electorate. Liquor could not be sold anywhere, hotels included. Most closed as a result. When Invercargill became ‘wet’ again in 1943 the Invercargill Licensing Trust was established to run liquor outlets in the city. Deschler’s Hotel had lost its licence in 1906, but was purchased by the Trust in 1945, and ran again as a commercial hotel until 1973. The building was then sold and demolished.
Using this item
Southland Museum and Art Gallery
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.