The major government hotels were built with international tourists in mind. When the old hostel at Milford Sound was badly damaged by fire in 1950, the Tourist Department rebuilt the hotel in a contemporary style, with large plate-glass windows looking out towards Mitre Peak and the Milford Sound. In this double bedroom, shown a few days before the grand opening on 6 December 1954, the soft furnishings and carpet are about as eye-catching as the view.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library, National Publicity Studios Collection
Reference: EP-Municipal-Towns, Milford Sound and the Milford Track-02; AAQT 6401/ A38088
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.