The J-class locomotive was introduced in 1939. This one, NZR No. 1200, 4-8-2 type, was built in Glasgow by the North British Locomotive Company in 1939 and went into service that October. It was converted to oil burning, as many K-class and J-class locomotives were, because of coal shortages after the Second World War, and was written off in July 1964. The sleek art-deco design was intended for greater speed, but it made the J class difficult to maintain and therefore impractical.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.