Christchurch railway station was opened on 1 November 1960 by Michael Moohan, the minister of railways. The Second World War had delayed construction. Even though the architect’s drawings were published in 1938 with the department of railways’ annual report, work did not begin until 1953. However, by 1960 the railways were in serious decline, and the station was never used to its full potential. The station building was damaged in the 2010 and 2011 earthquakes, and was demolished in 2012.
Using this item
Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: PhotoCD 10, IMG0041
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.