Story: Energy supply and use

CNG service station

CNG service station

Taxi driver Maurice Corbett fills his car at the Petone and Lower Hutt Taxi Company CNG (compressed natural gas) service station in 1979. The entire fleet of 90 cars was converted, with an expected fuel saving of 50%. Production and use of CNG was part of a government strategy to reduce New Zealand’s dependence on imported oil – the taxi company’s service station was opened by Minister of Energy Bill Birch.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, Dominion Post Collection (PAColl-7327)
Reference: EP/1979/1233/4

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Megan Cook, 'Energy supply and use - Natural gas', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/21464/cng-service-station (accessed 8 December 2021)

Story by Megan Cook, published 11 Mar 2010