Engineering was first taught at Canterbury College (as Canterbury University then was) in 1885, and a school of engineering was set up in 1887. The engineering school was an important part of the college, and was well funded by the college and by central government. In 1915 it was estimated that training each graduate cost £400 (around $58,000 in 2017 terms).
Using this item
Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: PhotoCD 9 IMG0082
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.