The post and telegraph office in Kāwhia opened in 1886. In 1900 the office may not have been a telegraph service, but it is likely that it included the local telephone exchange. Telegrams sent to an area without a telegraphist would be telephoned instead.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.