Opened in 1954, Hillary Court in the Lower Hutt suburb of Naenae was New Zealand’s first pedestrianised shopping mall. Shops were built along a traffic-free street, which opened to a garden court (right), where people could sit and chat. A large car park (left) was built to accommodate shoppers’ cars. The post-office clock tower provides a strong landmark element in an otherwise horizontal streetscape.
Using this item
Hutt City Libraries, Heritage Centre Collection
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.