Story: Otago region

Dunedin expands, 1951

Dunedin expands, 1951

Dunedin’s population grew by more than a quarter between the late 1940s and early 1960s. In 1951 new housing was visible in the foreground (North East Valley and Ōpoho) and in the distance, in the hill suburbs of Corstorphine and Kew.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, Whites Aviation Collection
Reference: WA-29422
Photograph by Leo Lemuel White

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Malcolm McKinnon, 'Otago region - Population and employment since 1920', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/22685/dunedin-expands-1951 (accessed 3 April 2020)

Story by Malcolm McKinnon, updated 1 May 2015