Story: Otago region

Container terminal, Port Chalmers

Container terminal, Port Chalmers

Dunedin won the battle to be the South Island’s principal container terminal in the early 1970s. The terminal opened in 1977. Its development had involved substantial earth-moving and reclamation at the Port Chalmers site.

Using this item

Hocken Library, University of Otago
Reference: S09-039c

Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Malcolm McKinnon, 'Otago region - Industry and development since 1920', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/22712/container-terminal-port-chalmers (accessed 3 April 2020)

Story by Malcolm McKinnon, updated 1 May 2015