Story: Otago places

Kawarau and Clutha river junction

Kawarau and Clutha river junction

In 1903 (top) Cromwell sat high above the junction of the two rivers, the narrower and murky Kawarau joining the broader, crystal-clear Clutha. In the early 1990s, when the Clyde Dam was completed, Lake Dunstan was created, flooding the Cromwell town site. In anticipation, a new town centre had been laid out on higher ground, fronting on to the lake. The new town is shown here in 2005 (bottom), with Lake Dunstan behind.

Using this item

Otago Daily Times

Permission of the Otago Daily Times must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Malcolm McKinnon, 'Otago places - Cromwell district', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/22827/kawarau-and-clutha-river-junction (accessed 13 November 2019)

Story by Malcolm McKinnon, updated 29 Jul 2015