The Canterbury provincial council chamber was designed by Benjamin Mountford and completed in 1865. It was the finest example of the high Victorian Gothic revival style of architecture in New Zealand. The richness of its interior mirrored the wealth and optimism of Canterbury at that time. The building was made of local stone and timber (kauri and rimu). The chamber collapsed in the February 2011 earthquake.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.