In 1855 government surveyor Alfred Domett set aside 17.3 hectares for a botanical garden on Napier’s Hospital Hill. The unpromising site was gradually planted out with trees and flower beds, and by the turn of the 20th century was a source of immense civic pride. This image from the early 1900s suggests that exotic plantings dominated the gardens at the time.
Using this item
Hawke's Bay Museum & Art Gallery, Hawke's Bay Museums Trust/Ruawharo Ta-u-rangi collection
Permission of Hawke's Bay Museum & Art Gallery, P.O. Box 248, Napier, New Zealand must be obtained before any re-use of this image.