Story: City public spaces

Market Place, around 1860 (1st of 3)

Market Place, around 1860

Christchurch’s Market Place was the site of many early public buildings. This shows the area in around 1860. In the foreground is the Avon River, with Oxford Terrace on the far bank. The Public Works office (centre) has an attached workshop and timber stack. Behind the office is Bishop’s store, which also served as the town’s first post office, and to the right of that is Market Hall. In the 1880s a row of stalls formed a meat and fish market.

Using this item

Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: PhotoCD 9, IMG0057

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Geoffrey Rice, 'City public spaces - Parks and gardens', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/22909/market-place-around-1860 (accessed 22 January 2020)

Story by Geoffrey Rice, published 11 Mar 2010