Story: City public spaces

Victoria Square, 2007 (3rd of 3)

Victoria Square, 2007

This is the Queen Victoria statue, with the Bowker Fountain behind, in 2007. In the 1980s Victoria Square was freshly landscaped, with two statues relocated to provide focal points for new pathways and garden beds. The historic Victoria Bridge (1864), New Zealand’s first iron arch bridge, was preserved and renamed the Hamish Hay Bridge, in honour of the city’s longest-serving mayor. The square is now one of New Zealand’s most successful inner-city pedestrian conversions. It is a peaceful haven for tourists and office workers; and a venue for fairs, outdoor concerts and the annual Carols by Candlelight public sing-along on Christmas Eve.

Using this item

Flickr: Snuffy's photostream
Photograph by Chung Bau

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Geoffrey Rice, 'City public spaces - Parks and gardens', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/22911/victoria-square-2007 (accessed 18 June 2021)

Story by Geoffrey Rice, published 11 Mar 2010