Story: Otago region

Kurow District High School

Kurow District High School

In the late 1920s and early 1930s Kurow was a ‘hydro town’ which expanded to house workers building the Waitaki dam and hydroelectric power station. The power station was opened in October 1934. As follow-up work continued, Kurow’s school still had a large roll in 1936.

Using this item

Upper Waitaki Pioneer Museum and Art Gallery

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Malcolm McKinnon, 'Otago region - Population and employment since 1920', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/23106/kurow-district-high-school (accessed 3 April 2020)

Story by Malcolm McKinnon, updated 1 May 2015