Story: Tourist industry

The Rotorua bathhouse (1st of 4)

The Rotorua bathhouse

The Tudor-style Rotorua bathhouse, opened in 1908, was a symbol of the government’s ambition to create a great South Seas spa. It was designed to attract local and international visitors. The imposing façade was matched by a luxurious interior, furnished with marble sculptures, magnificent porcelain baths and plush couches. Outside there were beautifully kept gardens, a band rotunda, bowling and croquet greens and tennis courts.

Using this item

Rotorua Museum of Art and History, Te Whare Taonga o Te Arawa
Reference: OP-2489

Permission of Rotorua Museum of Art and History Te Whare Taonga o Te Arawa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Margaret McClure, 'Tourist industry - Māori entrepreneurs in Rotorua', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/23172/the-rotorua-bathhouse (accessed 16 December 2019)

Story by Margaret McClure, published 11 Mar 2010