Carrying anything and everything, the Maori and the Beautiful Star arrived in Timaru’s port on 6 March 6 1872. The import list published in the local paper let recipients know that their goods – whisky, soap, wire, sheep or drainpipes – had arrived and were ready for collection. The two ships were regular travellers up and down the east coast of the South Island; this assortment of small lots was an important part of the service.
Using this item
National Library of New Zealand, Papers Past
Reference: Timaru Herald, 8 March 1872, p. 2
Permission of the National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.