A 1975 view of Wellington’s container terminal, taken from the top of a new crane, shows the neatly stacked rows of containers that had become a standard sight on New Zealand wharves. Containers were first introduced by the Railways Department in 1952 for rail–air freight. Easily transferred between truck, railway wagon, aircraft and ship, containers speeded up loading and unloading, and reduced pilfering, damage and costs. They were used by the coastal and international shipping trade from the 1960s.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.