Hamilton was founded in 1864 as a British military base during the New Zealand wars. Its chief purpose was to stop hostile Māori travelling up the Waikato River towards Auckland. Redoubts were built on elevated sites on both sides of the river, and settlements developed below. A punt – shown in this 1866 photo of the west bank – connected the two sides.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.