Bridges were needed in New Zealand both by trains and motor vehicles. Forty-two bridges were used for both forms of transport, normally with the train tracks sharing the same platform as cars and trucks. The bridge just north of Seddon in Marlborough was a double-decker, one of only three in the country. It was single-lane and opened in 1903. In 2007 a new two-lane highway bridge, 274 metres long, was opened.
Using this item
Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: AAVK W3473 B11,912
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence