A Catholic mission station was established at Pākōwhai, near Napier, in 1851 and transferred to Meeanee later in the decade. The Catholic missionaries are remembered as much for their introduction of grapes suited to winemaking as for their religious work.
Using this item
Hawke's Bay Museum & Art Gallery, Hawke's Bay Museums Trust/Ruawharo Ta-u-rangi collection
Permission of Hawke's Bay Museum & Art Gallery, P.O. Box 248, Napier, New Zealand must be obtained before any re-use of this image.