Frederic Meinertzhagen and Walter Campbell first leased Māori land at Waimārama in 1866 and ran a sheep station there. Unlike most Māori land in Hawke’s Bay, Waimārama remained in Māori ownership until the early 20th century. These are the station houses and some livestock (foreground), with Bare Island (Motu-o-Kura) visible out to sea. The modern-day settlement of Waimārama is located at this spot.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.