In 1837 a whaling station was established at Waikokopu by the Ward brothers. The local whaling industry was at its height in the 1830s and 1840s, and there were other stations around Māhia Peninsula which employed both Māori and Pākehā. This view of the harbour is looking towards Ōpoutama.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Leanne Tamaki
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.