Piles of bricks lie stacked outside Enoch Tonks's brick factory at 79 Webb Street, Wellington, in the 1890s. The figure standing at the doorway is Enoch's son Bill, who was the foreman. The factory shut down and was demolished in 1925. Although there were regional New Zealand variations, on the whole bricks were not as popular as wood for building houses, and were mostly used for chimneys, and for public buildings.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.