After disappearing from its original resting place at Mōhakatino, the anchor of the Tokomaru canoe – Te Punga a Matori – was rediscovered in the early 20th century and taken to Parihaka. It was decided to lodge the taonga (treasure) in the New Plymouth Museum, with three trustees elected as guardians. This photograph, taken in September 1927, shows the original trustees – left to right: Nohomairangi Te Whiti, Kapinga McClutchie and Rangi Matatoru Watson – in the museum with the anchor. At left is Poutama Whiria, the adze believed to have been used to make the canoe. It, too, was lost for many generations before being found by a farmer at Pukearuhe in 1923. Both precious objects remain at Puke Ariki museum in New Plymouth under a trusteeship agreement.
Using this item
Puke Ariki - Taranaki Museum & Library
This item must not be copied or reproduced in any print or electronic media without the prior permission of Puke Ariki Museum and Library. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.