Before the arrival of the Plymouth Company settlers in Taranaki, the Wesleyan Missionary Society had established a mission at Moturoa, New Plymouth. In 1846 the Reverend Henry Turton began a school for Māori. After receiving financial assistance from Governor George Grey, it became known as the Grey Institute. Never a resounding success, the school closed for the last time in 1869, and its building, erected in 1848, was sold in 1878 and moved from the site. A girls' school associated with the institute survives on its original site near the Moturoa shopping centre.
Using this item
Puke Ariki - Taranaki Museum & Library
Photograph by Williamson & Co.
This item must not be copied or reproduced in any print or electronic media without the prior permission of Puke Ariki Museum and Library. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.