Story: Food shops

Dixon Brothers butchers

Dixon Brothers butchers

Dixon Brothers was a large butchery shop in Cashel St, Christchurch. This photograph from around 1900 shows 18 employees. Dixon Brothers was one of the city's best-known butchers. The floor was covered in sawdust, which was swept and renewed at the end of each day. Carcasses were hung from meat hooks on display. Curiously, pride of place in the shop went to a buffalo head.

Using this item

Canterbury Museum, Canterbury Historical Association Collection
Reference: 2000.198.330

Permission of Canterbury Museum, Rolleston Avenue, Christchurch, New Zealand must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Carl Walrond, 'Food shops - Butchers and fishmongers', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/25477/dixon-brothers-butchers (accessed 17 October 2019)

Story by Carl Walrond, published 11 Mar 2010, updated 16 Sep 2016