The Auckland Domain was established as a recreational reserve in 1840, and it became the chosen home of Auckland cricket for the rest of the 19th century. However, in 1900 the small Kingsland Cricket Club leased the Cabbage Tree Swamp, which by 1913 was renamed Eden Park, and became the new home of Auckland cricket and rugby. Wellington's cricket ground, the Basin Reserve, also began as a swamp.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.