The Department of Conservation’s Dawson Falls visitor centre displays aspects of the ecology, flora and fauna of Egmont National Park. A section of the old Syme Hut, originally erected on Fanthams Peak in 1930, has been reassembled in the centre. The carved pou (post) outside the centre depicts the Ngāti Ruanui tribe’s relationship with the mountain. It was carved by Albert Tamati and dedicated in 2006. Behind the nearby Dawson Falls lodge is a small hydroelectric station with a generator made by General Electric around 1901. It was installed at Dawson Falls in 1935 and is one of the oldest still operating in the world.
Using this item
Photograph by Caren Wilton
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.