At Ōhawe, just west of Hāwera on the southern Taranaki coast, a large stone cairn is a monument to local settlers who died in fighting in the district between 1866 and 1869. Some of them are buried in the surrounding cemetery. The cairn was built on his own land by farmer James Livingston, who established the ‘Republic of Hawera’ in 1879 to mobilise fellow settlers to prevent Māori from Parihaka ploughing farmers’ fields.
Using this item
Photograph by Caren Wilton
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.