This is the Willis Street Obstetrics Hospital building in 1949. Constructed about 1876, it had been converted into a maternity home by Dr Louis Levy in 1920. Some women paid to give birth in small private maternity hospitals run by doctors, nurses or midwives. These were mainly located in urban areas. Most private maternity homes were converted houses. Levy ran the home until about 1945. By this time, private maternity homes were less common because women could give birth free of charge in public hospitals.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.