These postcards are of Te Waikato Sanatorium, which provided care for tuberculosis patients and convalescing servicemen between 1903 and 1922. The sanatorium was located on a hill called Pukemako (later known as Sanatorium Hill) near Cambridge. The main building was a grand homestead originally built for the family of Daniel Thornton, who had owned the surrounding land. Fresh air was thought to be good for tuberculosis patients, so small shelters, which could be opened up to catch the breeze, were built on the hillside.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.