An aerial photograph from 1990 shows the extent of Tokanui Hospital, near Te Awamutu, which by the 1960s was one of the largest psychiatric institutions in New Zealand. It opened in 1912 with a few patients transferred from Porirua Hospital near Wellington, and closed in 1997.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.