Opencast mining of coal at the Kōpaku mine, near Maramarua, has occurred on and off since 1947. From 1958 until 1991 coal was supplied to the Meremere thermal power station by an overhead cableway. In the 2000s the mine was operating again on a large scale.
Using this item
Photograph by Lloyd Homer
Permission of GNS Science must be obtained before any use of this image.