From 1947 Tokoroa grew to accommodate workers for the Kinleith mill, 8 kilometres south of the town. By 1953, when this photograph was taken, streets had been laid out and the settlement was expanding. The company that constructed the mill, New Zealand Forest Products, was also responsible for building many of the houses. Managing Director David Henry took a close interest in Tokoroa’s development and named many of the streets after places in Scotland, where he was born.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.