Auckland's first hospital was built in 1847. It and Wellington Hospital were the first public hospitals in New Zealand. They treated both European and Māori patients, the latter for free. Governor George Grey believed that offering free hospital care to Māori would help assimilate them into European society. The Auckland building had four large wards that could accommodate 8 to 10 patients, two smaller wards with five beds, and a room with one bed. Other facilities included a surgery, a kitchen, a loft and two apartments for staff.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Photograph by James D. Richardson
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.