After the violent death of John Patteson, bishop of Melanesia, in 1871, a memorial was erected close to the hut where he was killed. Bishop John R. Selwyn, the son of the mission's founder, carried a galvanised iron cross with a copper disc to the small island of Nukapu in the Solomon Islands in 1885. Chief Moto and his people wanted this to stand where it would be visible from passing ships. When the cross was erected the bishop held a memorial service and gave presents to everyone on the island. People from the village pose beside the cross in 1930.
Using this item
Macmillan Brown Library, University of Canterbury
Reference: H. N. Drummond, John Coleridge Patteson. Parkstone: Ralph & Brown, 1930, p. 20
Permission of the Macmillan Brown Library, University of Canterbury, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.