This is Christchurch Cathedral, in the city's Cathedral Square, under construction around the end of 1879. The foundations had been laid more than 10 years earlier, but lack of funds meant progress was slow. However the central nave was finished about three years after this photo was taken, and the whole building was finally completed in 1904. The beautiful cathedral, built of local stone, became New Zealand's best-known church building. It suffered only minor damage in the September 2010 earthquake and was declared safe for use three weeks later. However, it was severely damaged in the February 2011 earthquake. Since 2013 members of the church community have worshipped at the nearby cardboard cathedral. In 2017 the Christchurch Diocesan Synod decided to reinstate the cathedral.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.