Story: Nelson region

Cable Bay, around 1890

Cable Bay, around 1890

The first telegraph cable from Australia to New Zealand came ashore at Cable Bay, just north of Nelson. It opened for public business on 21 February 1876, when 54 telegrams were received and 93 sent. The following day direct cable news from Britain appeared for the first time in New Zealand newspapers. The cable remained New Zealand’s sole international telecommunications link until 1902.

Using this item

Nelson Provincial Museum, Tyree Studio Collection
Reference: 182273

Permission must be sought from Nelson Provincial Museum before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Carl Walrond, 'Nelson region - Sea and air transport and communications', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/28838/cable-bay-around-1890 (accessed 10 August 2020)

Story by Carl Walrond, updated 1 Aug 2015