The first plane to land in the Nelson region touched down on 11 November 1921. The flight was organised by Thomas Newman, who ran the local coach and service-car company. The plane was an Avro 504 – a converted First World War aircraft. It took off from Wellington and landed in Marsden’s paddock at Stoke. Brightwater was the intended destination, but the plane ran low on fuel.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.