This avenue of huge plane trees was planted in 1865 by the Gibbs family, early settlers at Tōtaranui, which is now part of Abel Tasman National Park. These trees are the parent stock of all the plane trees along Nelson’s city streets. They were planted to provide a ‘dash of home’ (meaning England). Tōtaranui campground is 32 kilometres east of Tākaka – an hour’s drive, as the last section of road is unsealed and winding. The campground, run by the Department of Conservation, takes up to 850 campers and is very busy in summer, when a booking system operates.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Melanie Lovell-Smith
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence